Thursday, May 26, 2011

Asian-Mex Mixed Plate

Today I had the pleasure of having my wonderful neighbor and friend over for dinner. After work, I rushed to the supermarket to get all the ingredients for dinner. Sounds easy enough, but the task got difficult as my sandal broke in the middle of the produce section. What to do now? Do I keep the other sandal on and continue on? Or do I go barefoot and risk being the subject of People of Wal-mart-like  humiliation? Anyway, to spare the details, I hurried up and got out.

For tonight's dinner - skin-on salmon filet pan-broiled in Aloha teriyaki sauce, broccoli sauteed in sesame-ginger sauce, baked potatoes, Mexican corn salsa, and brown rice. I went Rachel Ray on this and whipped it up in 30 minutes (minus time spent washing the veggies and thawing the salmon). I tell you, the only way, I believe,  Mrs. Ray managed to cook a 3-course meal in 30 minutes is by washing the veggies and meat before hand. Anyhow, she is great at what she does! My Thursday night dinner date, Mary, came right on time as she was told; but glad she didn't come starved. Dinner wasn't ready for another 15 minutes. We had a great laugh killing the time though.

Then came dinner. I tell you, a dish isn't complete without that one vegetable that the "   " has planted into our soil. Today I went for a small habanero. Oh boy, was it torturous! I remember back in the college days when my sister's roommates were munching on some hot chilis. The phone rang and one of the girls answered, "ssssssshhhsssssssssrrrsss..Yeah she's here. Let me get her..ssssshrl." The other girl got to the phone and said, "Hey..sssssshhrrrrssssssssshsss...what's.sssshhsrs up?" Yes, it burns, your ears ring, you sweat like a construction worker; but some of us like that. For tonight's dinner recipes, please tune in. They'll be up shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment