Tuesday, May 24, 2011

'Hot' Mexican is the 'Mild' Thai

I'm not sure what to write but there's a lot on my mind.  I'll just let my wine do the writing. I tell you, wine has various effects on different people. It either turns you mean, teary, chatty, or sleepy. Lucky for others (and hubby), wine doesn't bring out the tiger in me. However I can't say the same for vodka. You notice how women often get emotional after a few drinks, "I luv you!!!" to everyone at the bar? Yeah, I do that. Once I stepped on a stranger's foot with my 2-in heels on the dance floor. She turned around, put her hand softly on my shoulder, let out a bubbly laugh, and said, "It's OK!" Take the alcohol away from that experience and I'd be coming home with a black eye and all pieces of my hair extensions missing!

Anyway, I'm kinda warmed up now, but hope I finish this post before the tipsiness runs out. For lunch today I had beef fajitas from Fresh n' Easy. I sauteed it last night and threw it together with left-over brown rice from Sunday's left-over seafood dinner. I topped it off with quick, ingredient-lacking home-made pico de gallo. Man, it wasn't good. After work, I treated myself to Mr. Papaya Kitchen's papaya salad and spring rolls. I ordered 'spicy'. If you're not Thai and love the fiery, please remember one thing: order mild or medium when ordering Thai. I learned this the hard way as the hot papaya made its way down the wrong pipe. Good thing this happened in the comfort of my own home. But whateva, as long as my husband loves me, right? Remember, 'hot' Mexican is the 'mild' Thai (no pun intended).

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy this small and mighty hot Thai pepper. Never underestimate the power of little things! It all started when I was 3 years old, as I accompanied Mom at a food cart in our Ho Chi Minh City neighborhood. Eating with right hand, she held out a 1/3 bitten red pepper with her left. Thinking that she was feeding it to me and not having any clue to what it was, I took a bite. Mom took notice and tried her best to pry it out of my mouth. Much to her dismay, I swallowed the devil and never looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment